↓ Skip to main content

Maternal arsenic exposure and gestational diabetes and glucose intolerance in the New Hampshire birth cohort study

Overview of attention for article published in Environmental Health, November 2016
Altmetric Badge

About this Attention Score

  • Average Attention Score compared to outputs of the same age

Mentioned by

twitter
2 tweeters

Citations

dimensions_citation
42 Dimensions

Readers on

mendeley
64 Mendeley
You are seeing a free-to-access but limited selection of the activity Altmetric has collected about this research output. Click here to find out more.
Title
Maternal arsenic exposure and gestational diabetes and glucose intolerance in the New Hampshire birth cohort study
Published in
Environmental Health, November 2016
DOI 10.1186/s12940-016-0194-0
Pubmed ID
Authors

Shohreh F. Farzan, Anala Gossai, Yu Chen, Lisa Chasan-Taber, Emily Baker, Margaret Karagas

Abstract

Gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM) is a major pregnancy complication with detrimental effects for both mothers and their children. Accumulating evidence has suggested a potential role for arsenic (As) exposure in the development of GDM, but current studies have not assessed As exposure from water, urine or toenail samples. We investigated the association between As exposure and risk of glucose intolerance and GDM among 1151 women enrolled in the New Hampshire Birth Cohort Study. Arsenic was measured in home well water and via biomarkers (i.e., maternal urine collected ~24-28 weeks gestation and toenail clippings collected 2 weeks postpartum). A total of 105 (9.1 %) of women were diagnosed with glucose intolerance and 14 (1.2 %) of women were diagnosed with GDM. A total of 10.3 % of women had water As levels above 10 μg/L, with a mean As level of 4.2. Each 5 μg/L increase in As concentration in home well water was associated with a ~10 % increased odds of GDM (OR: 1.1, 95 % CI 1.0, 1.2). A positive and statistically significant association also was observed between toenail As and GDM (OR: 4.5, 95 % CI 1.2, 16.6), but not urinary arsenic (OR: 0.8, 95 % CI 0.3, 2.4). In a stratified analysis, the association between water As and GDM and glucose intolerance was largely limited to obese women (OR: 1.7, 95 % CI 1.0, 2.8). Our findings support the role of As exposure via water from private wells in the incidence of GDM and that this association may be modified by body composition.

Twitter Demographics

The data shown below were collected from the profiles of 2 tweeters who shared this research output. Click here to find out more about how the information was compiled.

Mendeley readers

The data shown below were compiled from readership statistics for 64 Mendeley readers of this research output. Click here to see the associated Mendeley record.

Geographical breakdown

Country Count As %
Unknown 64 100%

Demographic breakdown

Readers by professional status Count As %
Student > Master 15 23%
Researcher 9 14%
Student > Ph. D. Student 4 6%
Student > Bachelor 4 6%
Student > Doctoral Student 4 6%
Other 9 14%
Unknown 19 30%
Readers by discipline Count As %
Medicine and Dentistry 9 14%
Biochemistry, Genetics and Molecular Biology 6 9%
Environmental Science 5 8%
Agricultural and Biological Sciences 4 6%
Nursing and Health Professions 4 6%
Other 10 16%
Unknown 26 41%

Attention Score in Context

This research output has an Altmetric Attention Score of 1. This is our high-level measure of the quality and quantity of online attention that it has received. This Attention Score, as well as the ranking and number of research outputs shown below, was calculated when the research output was last mentioned on 10 November 2016.
All research outputs
#6,252,723
of 8,614,122 outputs
Outputs from Environmental Health
#689
of 862 outputs
Outputs of similar age
#158,539
of 245,193 outputs
Outputs of similar age from Environmental Health
#21
of 28 outputs
Altmetric has tracked 8,614,122 research outputs across all sources so far. This one is in the 23rd percentile – i.e., 23% of other outputs scored the same or lower than it.
So far Altmetric has tracked 862 research outputs from this source. They typically receive a lot more attention than average, with a mean Attention Score of 17.3. This one is in the 16th percentile – i.e., 16% of its peers scored the same or lower than it.
Older research outputs will score higher simply because they've had more time to accumulate mentions. To account for age we can compare this Altmetric Attention Score to the 245,193 tracked outputs that were published within six weeks on either side of this one in any source. This one is in the 30th percentile – i.e., 30% of its contemporaries scored the same or lower than it.
We're also able to compare this research output to 28 others from the same source and published within six weeks on either side of this one. This one is in the 21st percentile – i.e., 21% of its contemporaries scored the same or lower than it.